Monday, July 7, 2014


   This is the way that the sky is looking this morning when I got up early to take my grandson to the college for his first day of Drivers Training.  He was up and ready to go I think a little anxious. This afternoon he is going to go take his written exam then we will go see hubby since I didn't make it over the weekend.  My payment is  a cup of coffee from Breaktime.  I had a busy three days with the 4th of July cookout with my family. We could sit on their  covered deck and watch not only their fireworks and  other fireworks from the surrounding area. It makes you wonder just how much money was spent because of the time they started selling them and they started shooting them off. I know my neighborhood finally got quiet around 12:30 each night with most being shot off the last three days. 
    They had a celebration for the patients at the nursing home on the 2nd with hot dogs, chips, watermelon, and root beer floats. We could either have tea or lemonade to drink. We were going to watch from hubby's room, but they parked the ambulance in front of it so we went outside. They had a nice about 40 minute firework  show plus other entertainment. I think my favorite part was when they retired the flag and raised the new one. The folding ceremony of the old  flag was impressive.
   I got to be chauffeured over the weekend which was enjoyable just to sit back and watch the scenery.  I got my yard cut yesterday. My grandson wanted to know if I wanted to see about baling it. It was getting tall, but when they planned on mowing it we got a pour down rain. We have flooding in the low lying areas across town from all of the rain plus what they are releasing from the dam up north. I don't know how much rain we got. I just know  it came fast and furious with small hail and you couldn't see the house across my driveway. 
   The outdoor wedding that we went to on Saturday you couldn't ask for a better day. It poured down rain here, but they had sunshine down at Excelsior Springs. It was at the Elms if you have heard of it. It was the first time I have ever been there. The reception was inside with a buffet dinner.  My daughter and I had a wonderful time and the bride was so pretty.  We could have gone to the brunch on Sunday with the family. The girls skating together along time ago.
   The next two weeks I will be taking my grandson to the college.  His brother is going to see the physical therapist this week. They have waited for quite a while since there is   such a shortage in the kind of therapy that he needs with his hearing problem. They have to take him to Children Mercy in Kansas City or Lincoln, Nebraska.  It is closer to go to Kansas City. They have found if he gets to tired he gets sick.  He keeps his trash can close to his bed. You have to love him with his independence that he shows. He knows what he can and can't do.  It doesn't really slow him down. He still goes 90 miles a hour or so it seems.
   After the fireworks was over, my youngest grandson wanted everyone to go home because he wanted to go to bed. The boys enjoyed shooting off their fireworks.  Some was still shooting them off last night, but not as late.  
Hope all of you had a safe holiday and enjoy the week. Take care.



Debby said...

Sounds like a fun busy week-end. Enjoy that coffee. You are like me....busy helping with the grands. I love it and it helps keeping your mind busy.
As far as your grandson. Hearing loss is supposed to be one of the worst handicaps. I read where it was worse than seeing. I wonder if the fireworks were hard for him. I am sensitive to sound. Even though he has a loss maybe he is also sensitive.
Soon you will have a new driver to drive you around.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear of your grandsons hearing, you have been very busy!!!!

Linda Sherman said...

You're certainly keeping ever so busy and it that's a good thing. You have a wonderful week.

Susie said...

Shirley, I think of you being chauffeured around and I bet you were not used to that. I tell my kids I was born to be chauffeured, they call it "Driving Miss Lazy"....can you believe those kids? LOL Hope all goes well for you brave grandson. It kind of touch your heart when you see they are trying their best to take care of themselves . Blessings to all, xoxo,Susie

Charlotte Huffman said...

Busy weekend! Hope you and your family are doing well.

Gert said...

Wow Shirley it sounds like you had a fun and busy weekend! smile... And a start to a busy week for you!

Goodness, the fireworks and firecrackers were terrible this year! Especially since their illegal in their talking about making them legal..if they do I can't imagine what it'll be like then. Poor Rusty will probably have a heart attack! sad...

Hugs to you!