Monday, August 18, 2014

HOT WEATHER IS BACK

    The sun was setting as the horse show was coming to a close. It was a beautiful day cool in the morning to where I wore a sweater until after noon. It was cloudy and damp that morning. We had cowboy church then it got started. Breakfast was a piece of black raspberry cheese cake that my dil brought me along with a cup of coffee. What a way to start the day. The cook shack had cinnamon rolls along with the hot dogs, polish sausage, and cheeseburgers and hamburgers. Even had a cherry pie which really went fast.
    You could tell how the wind was blowing by the flag that my grandson was carrying. It makes it look good when they stand out like that. Cleo doesn't object to the flag nor does she object to running. He did games with her. His partner and him  got first place in team barrels. It was their first time of getting first place which made him happy. He even placed in egg and spoon. Little brother doesn't do that because he says there is just to many out there to try to hold his  egg and spoon and watch so he doesn't get ran over by another horse. 
   This is the first show that there was enough volunteer's so that dad could get into the act by showing Fergie in showmanship and Cleo in western pleasure. 
    It was the first time that he had shown a horse in two years. There was a few parents that got into the act and of course the kids were cheering for them. It was a fun day for all.
   His son was a little bent out of shape that dad was showing against him, but he got over it. Dad just wanted to ride something he hadn't got to do for quite a while because normally at a show he is the ring steward for the judge. 
    I had to show you a picture of father and son riding together. It is something that I haven't had the privilege of seeing before. Son gave us some excitement. Fergie bucked with him which is something that I had never seen her do. Still don't know why. His comment with a big smile on his face was "grandma, I stayed on". He had a bruise on his stomach today where he caught the saddle horn, but after he got her stopped. The one running the gate walked very quietly out and got a hold of Fergie's halter and walked him out of the arena. He got back on her later and rode some more. They wanted her to know she was not going get away with that.
I thought I would show you my latest of the things that I have completed. My witch needs darker hair if I do her again, but she still turned out pretty well. I have been keeping the fingers busy so that I don't have the time to think about other things. I am working on a set of pillow cases. It is first one thing and another. I even made a small table runner using a tea towel and my horse pattern. I try to not make anything exactly alike. 
  The kids all started to school. It will take a little while to get back to a routine for me after spending time with them this summer. Last Thursday I spent the day with the older two and the evening with my youngest. I was amazed how much they are growing. My youngest grandson is  4ft 9in and only 9 years old. I know they grow up fast.  I need to bring this to a close. Have a wonderful week and try to stay cool. Take care. 



9 comments:

Gert said...

Oh Shirley...what a busy and fun day you had! Your sewing is just lovely! What a great way to keep your hands and mind busy, along with making your customers happy!

Blessings and it's "hot" up here in Iowa too.
Gert

Cinderella Moments said...

That looks like a lot of fun. And the pictures are marvelous!
hugs♥,
Caroline

Susie said...

Shirley, You do have some great fun , watching all the horsemen in your family. I see you have been using your magic needle again. I love to see your needle work. Blessings for a great week, xoxo,Susie

Charlotte said...

Sounds like a great time! Keep cool! Hope your hubby is doing OK.

Vickie said...

Love the picture of father and son. That is TOO much excitement to see the horse buck with grandson on! Good for your GS, he got her under control. Our youngest starts school on Thursday.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Happy Birthday to you Shirley! I am slow these days at commenting, so I hope I got that right. I love your cross-stitched towel. And congrats to your grandson on his first place win! That is always a thrill. I wish I could have been there with you to watch! Hope your husband is doing well. Take care in this hot weather we're having this week!

Linda said...

Hello, Shirley!! I just noticed you were on my list of followers so I jumped over here to follow YOU! I am going to have so much fun reading your blog! I loved the one today - your pictures are wonderful and you have such a wonderful family! Let's get to know one another!! You say it's HOT where you are? Do you liv in Texas by any chance?

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am visiting from the Cozy Blanket! I've enjoyed seeing the great photos of the horses and riders. And I love your cute stitching! I hope you have a beautiful weekend! Hugs, Diane

Cindy said...

Love the father and son picture on the horses!! Always good to hear from you!! You sure keep busy, and I admire that!!