Tuesday, January 22, 2013

RETIREMENT ???

Are we ever ready for retirement?  Have you thought about what you are going to do in those supposedly golden years?  Was the retirement something you wanted to do, or was it because of your job coming to end because a business is closing?  How do you handle all of the unanswered questions?  As we all age, we think eventually we would like to retire, but with the economy like it is and the prices of everything we feel we can't really afford to. It just might be forced on you whether you are ready or not. Then you have the decision to make about what am I going to do. 
I am going to have to make those very decisions whether I am ready or not. It gets harder and harder to compete with the big box stores and with the prices of the insurance and everything else going up. You have to make a very hard decision whether or not to keep a business opened. That decision has been made for me that I am going to be going into retirement. I have always worked and with my hubby in the nursing home, it makes me worry. I know I have been doing an awful lot of praying that god will help me through this. It is so frustrating because I know I will find it very hard to find another job at my age. I have been told I can draw unemployment. It probably won't be what I make now.
It will be like starting all over again doing what is anybody's guess. A lot of places want someone younger even though you have a lot of experience. 
Say a lot of prayers for me because I am going to need it. I will be coming to visit some more, but after today, I think I will just call it a day early. Have a good rest of the week. 
 

8 comments:

jenann said...

Ah, Shirley... I thought I'd find it so hard to fill my days when forced into early retirement from teaching on health grounds. Forget that! I've never been so busy or so happy. I have time for all the craft projects I wanted to do but didn't have time for. I have time to spend with my very elderly mother and other family members without feeling guilty that I can't give them fleeting visits only before rushing off to work. I have time to really look at and enjoy my garden and the wider world. I also have more time for careful price checking so that the money goes further and the drop in income doesn't seem as scary as I thought it would.
Try to see this as a new volume in the story of your life. Close the last volume but dip into it occasionally to enjoy your memories of working life, and start your new volume with high expectation of enjoying all the new opportunities it will bring for you.

Willnnabel said...

Gosh, my husband and I are at the same crossroads. although we want to retire, we have been the support for our kids who have had a rough time. You see it has been difficult even for them (our daughter is back in school for the third time - third degree. Could not get a job even when certified) My job has diminished and I was told another cut was around the corner. We moved to a smaller less expensive home last fall, have some savings, but who knows what will happen. Yes getting a new job is next to impossible, not only because you are competing with younger workers alone. No, you also have the fact that with the new healthcare no one is hiring full time, and many are hiring at the very minimum wage. How does one live on that. My husband would love to retire, but they have stripped his pension to a minimum, cut benefits. what we thought we would have is halved, and who knows how long that will even last. I hope you will find something, if just for the diversion. Will keep you in my thoughts.

Vickie said...

Oh Shirley! I am praying for you.♥

Cindy said...

Just remember, Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!

Celestina Marie said...

Dear Shirley, I will truly be keeping you in my prayers. I know with God's help you will walk through this challenge. We are all going to face this situation and I think the hardest part, is the fear of the unknown. It will be okay, just keep the faith my friend.
Hugs and Prayers, Celestina Marie

Cheryl said...

Shirley, you can plan as best you can, but still, it's one day at a time. I'll be thinking of you today.

Cheryl said...

Shirley, you can plan as best you can, but still, it's one day at a time. I'll be thinking of you today.

OneOldGoat said...

By the way, love the vintage valentines!
Beth