Saturday, September 4, 2010

A BEAUTIFUL DAY


We had an absolutely gorgeous day with the temperature starting at 48 degrees and warming up to 76 degrees this afternoon. It is definitely a sign that fall is in the air.
We did some tootling as I call it since it was a beautiful day. We left with no real destination in mind just going to wherever. As we cut across the countryside, it reminded you some of a roller coaster going uphill and down with the curves thrown in. Of course this is two lane highways because you can drive a little slower and enjoy the countryside. Some area look like it is almost harvest time with the corn getting brown. Some have already made theirs into silage because it wasn't going to be good for anything else. I can remember when my dad did that. Growing up on the farm gave you a lot of enjoyment that you don't get in the city or at least I think so. You could set on the front porch without worrying about the neighbors being that close to you. I would love to live back in the country for that reason.
We have talked about making the drive to see the fields of sunflowers in bloom. They should be awesome looking now with all of the color. We may just do that tomorrow, but we will wait and see what tomorrow brings. I never want to plan my days to far ahead as they never go like you plan. We like making a decision on the fly to do whatever.
I just want a couple more nice days like today. They say that rain is back in for Tuesday of next week. Just what we need more of right at the moment.
They had lines waiting to check out at the mall this afternoon when I was there. I did some rearranging and looking to see what I was going to do next. I need to do some more embroidery work and get a package ready for shipping on Tuesday. It was a good day at my etsy shop.
You all have a wonderful day and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

11 comments:

deb said...

I miss living in the country too. Things are just different there. But it was so disturbing when several years ago my parents farm became inside city limits!

The way things are going here there won't be much country left before long. Where we live the developers offered the dairy farmers so much money (more than they would ever make in a lifetime)they just couldn't refuse. I understand, but it's sad to see all the homes that were built empty covered in weeds from being lost.

I'm sure it will come around again...need to cherish seeing the farms that are left. I enjoy seeing "my cows" on the way to the next bigger city.

Have a great weekend!
*hugs*deb

LuLu Kellogg said...

It's still really hot here so send me some of that cooler weather!!

I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend too my dear!

Love,
LuLu♥

Elaine said...

I was raised on a farm in Ohio and i love going back to see the fields of wheat and the rolling hills. When we sat on our porch back then you were always sure to get a wave from a passing neigbor...not like today.

Anonymous said...

I have grown to detest living in town even though it is a rural community (pop. approx. 1800). There is a lot to be said for NOT having neighbors!!
Happy Labor Day!
Love,
Marilyn

Beedeebabee said...

Hi Shirley! I haven't been in blogland much lately...We enjoy "tootling" also! Nothing like a beautiful drive to where ever you happen to end up! Have a great Sunday, Sweetie! xo Paulette

Cinderella Moments said...

That sounds like it was so relaxing! I'm so fortunate to live in an empty neighborhood. No neighbors, no dogs, no noise. I don't know how I'll adjust when the economy gets back up and they start building again! Right now I'm enjoying the peace (for 1 1/2 years now). I thank God everyday for allowing me this time of quiet in a gorgeous house. Hope you go see your sunflowers and have another beautiful afternoon! :)

XO,
Caroline

Anne Lorys said...

The first place you always see ther early signs of Fall is in the country. Sounds like a beautiful and relaxing drive!

Have a wonderful Sunday and Labor Day!
Hugs,
Anne

Needles Everywhere said...

I agree about 'country' being gobbled up. I so miss the quiet of the country as all the roads get busier and busier and closer and closer.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you're having a really good weekend :) It's been nice here too. No Rain tho. I'm so glad you're busy...wish I was :(
Craft shows are coming up the end of this month so I need to finish up some designs.
Well, I hate to cut it short, but we just got in a little while ago from Jim's Brother's party and I had to put the link thing up for Market Monday, send out a broadcast message about it and an email reminder for on my list....
so I'm now officially pooped!
Melody

My Grama's Soul said...

Just found you thru Anne and Fiona and Twig.....so glad I did. First of all I so LOVE pansies....flowers with "smiley faces".....secondly you embroider....my mom did that....I never learned....but would like to...perhaps soon!! (O:(O:

Xo

Jo

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I'm so looking forward to the crisp air of the Fall. I just love it.
Isn't it fun to just run away with no particular place in mind. Fun!
xx, shell