Tuesday, January 5, 2016

INDEPENDENCE AGAIN

  How has your New Year started off? My oldest made it back to Louisiana and I had an enjoyable visit with all of my family. I got my independence back on Saturday before he flew out on Sunday. Car shopping was a different experience with all three of my kids, my oldest grandson, and my son-in-law checking out the car I got. My oldest would have been my co-buyer if I needed him, but I got it all on my own. Of course hubby was not happy about it, but I had told him that I got to pick this one and he had no say in it. 
   Enough suspense, I got a used 2015 Chevy Cruze. White in color which wasn't my choice of color, but the kids thought that I needed a lighted colored car. It doesn't have the bells and whistles that my other one does, but it will get me where I need to go and was affordable. They all gave their approval and my oldest grandson called to see if I was home yesterday. He wanted to come by and check it out closer then he got to on Saturday. They all have called to check to see how I am doing with it. Family helping family. I feel for those who don't have the support and closeness of family. You have ups and downs but when needed you all pulled together.
   All of the grand kids are back in school. I think they were ready to go back. My oldest is suppose to send me pictures of his boxes that he has made and sold. He made two walnut boxes with a light color bows and lined the bottom of them with felt. I will post pictures when I get them. 
    I am so happy that I can now go when I want, where I want, do my shopping when I want, get a haircut without having to have some one come take me. Oh! they would do it and I will probably miss it, but to know that I can be self-reliant again gives me a good feeling. To be able to make visits more often to the nursing home to see really what is going on.
   We have sunshine today and it is warmer then we have had, but the weather is suppose to change again. Needless to say we have been lucky in our area, but others have not. As my middle grandson likes to say, you can't replace people, but you can replace other things just may take a while. 
   He has a ball game on Saturday that I will go and watch. I missed his last ball game, but if the grades aren't there he may not play. He thinks mom and dad are bluffing, but they are not. He reminds me so much of his dad in that respect. He is very smart, and gets bored easy. He doesn't care for math, which is the most important and you need it for everything you do. They say they all go through that phase because dad works at a job that uses math every day. We all do. 
    My oldest grandson and his best friend put a starter on his friend's vehicle. It took them a while, but they got it accomplished so they were proud of themselves. He thinks he wants to go to a technical college when he graduates to continue his education on how to work on vehicles. He is very good about researching what he is working on. 
   I need to get my self in gear and run an errand. Go check on hubby because he didn't feel good yesterday. Prayers being sent for those in need. Take care. Stay safe and warm.

 

13 comments:

Quinn said...

Yay Shirley! Great way to start off the new year. So glad you have your new car and can do what you want, when you want. Sure makes a difference sometimes :)

Vickie said...

Sounds like a very nice car Shirley. I am glad for you.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Shirley, I'm glad you got a car now you can go when you want and not have to depend on other's schedules. I have a white car and really like that it doesn't seem to show dirt like some colors do. I hope you like yours.
Sorry to be so late answering your question about where I live, I live near Columbia so I wasn't near the floods. Although we did have some creeks getting out in our area and several roads closed, even streets in Columbia were closed at times due to flooding. They are calling for more rain Thursday, we sure don't need it!
Hope your hubby is feeling better. Take good care of yourself, too!

Blondie's Journal said...

I'm very happy for you, Shirley. I know how much your independence means to you and it sure sounds like you bought a great vehicle!! Yay!

Take care, I pray for warm weather so you can get out and about in your new baby!! :)

Jane x

sweet violets said...

I'm so happy for you, sounds like a great car and you had such nice help!! Enjoy your independence and stay safe. We are also having a reprieve from the cold weather, but next week cold will return.......take care.....xoxoxo

Charlotte said...

YeeHaw! Glad you got your car! What a way to start the new year! Enjoy!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

So happy for you sweets! Sounds like your in for a wonderful new year!
Light, love and hugs,
Shell

bj said...

so glad you have a good car now. our independence is one of the last things we want to give up.
love to you.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I'm so glad that you don't live near the flooding. We are going to be hit by the Polar Vortex next week. Hope I can stay inside!! I'm happy that you finally got your insurance claim settled and found a car. We have a junk truck that is our back up just in case. It's a stick and harder for both of us to drive now, but it's nice to have it. Our school system has a Career Center that kids can attend during high school to be taught a trade. My oldest grandson attended classes for auto body repair and paint. He is 20 and has a job in a local RV repair shop doing final finish on motor homes and other RV averaging $20 an hour. I hope your grandson is able to follow through on his mechanical training.

Have a wonderful day!!
xx, Carol

Mereknits said...

I am so glad you got a car that is reliable and practical, but most of all gets you where you need to go. I love that your family is so involved.
Hugs to you,
Meredith

Wildflowerhouse said...

Your car sounds great and it has the stamp of approval from the family. I love my Honda Accord but it does not do well in a lot of snow. I have always had 4 wheel drive. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought the "Silver Fox". (I name all my cars). l am hoping for no more big snow this year. Be safe!

Susie said...

Shirley, You sound like you just turned 16 and got your licenses. Bless your heart. No fun without a car is it? Please take the time to learn your new car. ;) I always teased my mom about that. You have to get used to new cars. I like those Cruze, may granddaughter has one. Blessings to you dear friend. xoxo,Susie

Anonymous said...

Happy for you!!